Thursday, September 22

Banana Chip Breakfast Cookies!

So using everything I have known until now about baking, I have created my first ever baking recipe!!  All by myself!  Here is the recipe for Banana Chip Cookies - they are soft and chewy, almost muffin-like, but they flattened out like cookies and got crispy around the edges and the top.  They have banana, oats and coconut, so are really hearty which is why I'm calling them a "breakfast" cookie - b/c I think you could pop a few of these along with a boiled egg and you would be fine till break time!  Hope you enjoy and if you know what would make these cookies go crispy rather than soft - please share with me b/c I'm dying to make a crispy banana cookie!!




Banana Chip Breakfast Cookies
Ingredients:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1tsp ground cinnamon
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 cup semi-sweet chips

Method:
Preheat oven to 375degrees.  Cream butter and sugar in usual manner.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, soda, salt & cinnamon.  Blend into butter mixture.  Combine mashed bananas, oats, coconut & chips - fold into the dough.


Prepare cookie sheets with baking paper.  Drop medium sized balls of dough - enough to give each cookie sheet 1 dozen cookies.  Bake for 12 - 13 minutes, depending on things like your altitude, your stove, if you do something stupid like open the oven half way thru baking (like I did) etc.  Because these cookies have so much sugar from the bananas, they can burn really quickly!


When golden and hopefully not burnt, remove from oven to let cool on a rack.  Store in an airtight container - or freeze!

7 comments:

  1. Congrats! Isn't making new recipes fun! Now if only it paid more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baking new recipes is always fun! love the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your own recipe! These do look delicious. I did banana cookies from a recipe and they too came out cakey. I am not sure if it is do to the bananas or other reasons. However, good luck with the trial an error for crispy ones. Also you might want to read this link
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/275917

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! I need to get my bake on, my wife is much better at it than me. I just do the savory stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cookies for breakfast!? Heck yes! Congrats on creating your first original recipe, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your first creation. Sounds delicious! I think you have a winner.

    ReplyDelete