Sunday, March 18

Savoury Breakfast Tart

Have you ever cooked something and wondered why you haven't been eating it every day of your life up until now?  That's how I feel about today's breakfast, which I'm calling a Savoury Breakfast Tart.  So great - I can see me making these for breaky next time we have friends/family in for the weekend!  Nom x 1000000!  The main idea of the recipe is from the April 2012 Food Network Magazine on their contest page "Name this Dish."  I changed a few items, using the stuff which I had in my fridge - check it out!!


Savoury Breakfast Tart
Ingredients:
1/2 package thawed Tenderflake puff pastry
2 strips bacon (I am now into the Fletcher's Alder Smoked Bacon bc it's really lean and sweet and smoky!)
4 Babybel Cheeses, grated
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
4 large eggs
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely minced
2 tbsp chives or green onions, finely minced
salt & pepper

Method:
Preheat oven to 425degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a 12"x12" square and cut io 4 equal squares.  Meanwhile, cook the bacon till crisp over medium heat; remove and let rest on paper towels.  Once cooled,  crumble and set aside.


Pinch the edges of the pastry to form little round "tarts" and then prick a bunch of holes into the centre with a fork.


Bake for about 10 minutes - not quite yet golden, but you can tell they're done.  If they're puffy in the centre, stab at them with the fork again to deflate them a bit.  Let them cool on the baking sheet a bit before assembling.


Divide the cheese mixture between the 4 tarts and make a little well in the centre.  Carefully crack an egg into each well.  Top with bacon, rosemary and salt & pepper.   Since I am not a superfan of egg-yolk, I used the fork to break the top of the yolk, then baked in the oven for 17 minutes.  If you're a fan of runny, yellow yolk, then don't break the yolk and only bake for 12-15 minutes, until the egg whites are set.


Remove from oven and sprinkle with the chives or green onion and serve!  Hella impressive and I said to Todd that I would be super happy if I had ordered that in a restaurant!







3 comments:

  1. Oh wow. This looks amazing! The bacon on top is obviously calling my name - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I could get used to having these for breakfast pretty often! :)

    ReplyDelete