Saturday, March 10

Traditional Chicken Teriyaki

This recipe takes me back to the yakitori stands I used to enjoy in Japan!  The sauce, omg so amazing and sticky sweet - now I've found a recipe to make it from scratch!!  I will admit that I did have a couple moments of regret as I scoured the shelves for mirin and then had to go buy a gigantic bottle of sake... but you know what - the result was well worth the effort!!  I will never buy teriyaki sauce pre-made again!!


Chicken Teriyaki (from January 2012 Food & Wine Magazine)
Ingredients:
1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp sake
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt & pepper
2 tbsp canola oil
1 large red and one large yellow pepper, sliced into rings
1/2 lb asparagus
steamed rice for serving


Method:
In a medium saucepan, combine the chicken stock with the soy sauce, sugar, mirin and sake and bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the sauce reduces to about 1/2 cup and is syrupy - this takes about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper.  Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a non-stick  pan and cook the chicken over medium-high heat, until browned all over - about 10 minutes.  Remove to plate and let rest for about 5 minutes.


Wipe out the pan and add the other 1 tbsp of oil.  Add the sliced peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, until slightly charred.


Steam the asparagus in another pan until tender-crisp - don't overcook it to a point where it loses it's nice vibrant green colour!

Slice the chicken breasts and serve with the teriyaki sauce.  Be prepared for a standing ovation at the dinner table and/or an instant trasportation to a Japanese yakitori stand!!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice! I find that many recipes don't quite make teriyaki as it should be, so I'll be curious to try this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiri - I was dying at how delicious this recipe is!!! It lasts for a month in the fridge, so I'm going make more!!

    ReplyDelete